09 March 2014

The Christian life in a nutshell

Your weekly dose of Spurgeon
The PyroManiacs devote some space each weekend to highlights from the lifetime of works from the Prince of Preachers, Charles Haddon Spurgeon.  The following excerpt is from The Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit, volume 34, sermon number 2,010, "The Word a sword."


"The best private devotion is made up, half of searching Scripture in which God speaks to us, and the other half of prayer and praise, in which we speak to God."

2 comments:

donsands said...

I have private time with my Lord, but in church today was the best!

How i love to hear His Word, sing words of praise from my bowed heart to my King and Savior. How i love to pray to our Father, and rejoice in all that He is, as we honor Him as our eternal God and Friend.

Thanks again for the post. Keep on.

Phil. 1:6

Terry Rayburn said...

This is great. It is reminiscent of probably the most memorable sermon I have ever heard.

It was preached in the late '70's by Warren Wiersbe at the Gull Lake Bible Conference grounds -- in one of several wonderful Michigan Summers on the shore of beautiful Gull Lake, in the old wooden "tabernacle" with its giant beams and streaming happy brothers and sisters, hungry for the Word of God.

We heard many gifted preachers there over the years, but Wiersbe was always my favorite.

The title of the message was, "The Word of God and Prayer".

Although I wish I had a recording of it (there are similar recordings by Wiersbe online, but not the exact one), the message was so pristine, so simple, so humble, so sublime and biblical, that I remember it to this day:

"The Word of God and Prayer".

Thanks for the nostalgia-inducing nugget from Spurgeon.